Sunday, January 16, 2011

Light as a Feather

It is Sunday and I am on the downhill slope of pain. I am elastic with happy--expanding in the ribs and taking it all in.

Today, I ate two chocolate truffles.

Rebel.

I am happy and tumbling towards green pastures of life with resounding laughter and youth. If only for this moment, let me be blind to all the edges--let the next moment retreat back into the dark woods. Let me just be here, this moment.

Later, I will tell you a story about the beginnings of endometriosis: whiskey, lust, dirt, blood. Later, a story about the beginnings of spirit guides: hospital, pneumonia, vomit, haunted rooms.

For now, a conversation with Seth, my spirit guide:

Me: Why do I have endometriosis? Genetic probability? Karma? Spiritual lesson?

Seth: And what do you believe? And what do you want out of this experience? Where is the portal hole for you? Will you walk into pain? Will you believe that there in infinite sweetness in this place that can feel so cold to you? Can you breathe in a place that promises nothing--that holds no light for your deliverance? What does it mean for you, dear s, to be here in ribs with a heart that's still beating? What do you want?

Me: I don't know what I want? Maybe softness, maybe a hand to hold, maybe someone to tell me that it's going to be okay. I want to collapse in some wise lap and be pet on my hair. I want to lay here in silence and watch the light crescent over the earth. I just want a full breath in peace.

Seth: And, what will you do now to have it? Will you ask someone to touch their hand to your face and tell you, "Sweet love, it will be okay?" Will you sit in a quiet place and let that be enough? Can you stop seeking and see that peace is not so far away. What is endometriosis? Maybe, a fair question is, what is endometriosis for you? Perhaps, a sweet salvation?

Me: Yes. Maybe. But, what do I do? I am so afraid of pain. It terrifies me. I want time to stop on days like today. I just want to be here, frozen, heels in the ground. I want to resist the next moment that might change the way I feel in my body. I don't want to feel pain.

Seth: It is not easy, s. It is not easy to lay the body down for this wind called pain. But, you cannot fight the weather. You cannot demand the sun to shine and the rain to hide. You can warm yourself and be kind to yourself. You can prepare for a storm. This is your relationship to pain right now. You cannot stop a force of nature just because you will it to disappear. It is a wild force of nature, pain. You must be wise, prepare and not fear. How to do this? Ask yourself, what do you need in a storm? The shelter of strong. Find this in human companionship. You need the warmth of fire. Find this in the fire of your heart. Write stories. Read stories. Laugh. Build fires. Sit in blankets. Give to yourself. You see, when you stop wishing pain away, you can use your efforts to prepare. When you are prepared, you can sit. And when you sit, you will listen to the wind. What is the wind pain telling you?

Me: Is the wind telling me to write?

Seth: The wind is telling you a story. Be light in your body and the wind will take you. Let the pain take you to a new place--an unexpected place. No resistance. Lay your head down. The wind will carry you.

Me: I'm scared.

Seth: But, the pain is not. Give your fear to pain and watch it burn into ash.

1 comment:

  1. hmmm. Blankets. That jumped out at me. And they sound cozy.

    ReplyDelete